What I did in New York yesterday:
- Woke up hella late (like 1) and got Chinese food with Hannah (who I’m staying with).
- Went into Manhattan to get a beanie, ended up wandering around the West Village for a while before stopping into Urban Outfitters and getting a navy blue beanie I really dig, in addition to some socks with bombs on them I didn’t know I needed until I saw them.
- While wandering, found the Magnolia Bakery (the original one!) and got a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting. It changed my life and I’ll mention it in my memoirs.
- Went into Queens to a place called Creek and the Cave to check out an open mic, based off a recommendation from a guy at the Upright Citizen’s Brigade show the night before. When we arrived, we went to the upstairs theater, which was empty except for one dude onstage, and were told by him that the mic was downstairs. Upon leaving the upstairs, Hannah told me that guy was Colin Quinn.
- The audience was 100% comics who didn’t laugh at anything except inside jokes. Very peculiar, unsupportive audience. Show order was also determined by lottery, which was kind of cool and different. Got a beer, left.
- Went to the Court Square Diner, got a BLT.
- Took the G(host) train back to Hannah’s apartment to chill with her roommate’s dogs and watch some shit on Hulu, followed by the first episode of the new series of Never Mind the Buzzcocks, which apparently started.
- Passed out.
A short list of all the famous people I’ve seen on my trip:
- Chelsea Peretti (she was going through security at JFK as I was leaving, looked very upset)
- Danger Mouse (at the bar with Hannah, Stuart and me after the UCB show, should have said something but didn’t)
- Colin Quinn (didn’t realize it was him until it was too late, and what was I gonna say, anyway? “Hey, you’re my 7th favorite Weekend Update host”?)